My Life with Multiple Chronic Illnesses, Including Lyme Disease

Friday, October 29, 2010

Food aversion, Babesiosis, and Mepron - Ann Marie's Berry Smoothie

I was going through a period of food aversion recently; this is not unusual for people with Lyme disease and its various co-infections.  Unfortunately, I happened to be taking several medications which must be taken with food!

One of these was Mepron, an anti-malarial which also works on Babesia, another charming tick-borne disease I have.  Every teaspoon of Mepron needs to taken with approximately 20 grams of fat!  How could I do that when I could barely eat anything??

Fortunately, a friend of mine who also has Lyme gave me her recipe for berry smoothies.  She adds almond flour to the smoothie to provide fiber, extra protein and nutrition, and which, combined with the Greek yogurt, just happens to add up to a total of 20 grams of fat!

I thought I should share this in case it might be helpful to someone else on Mepron (particularly someone who has no appetite!).

Ingredients:

1/4 C Greek-style yogurt, plain (I use Trader Joe's)
1/4 C almond flour or almond meal (make sure it's certified gluten free!)
frozen/fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries - nothing too sweet)
a dash of aloe juice to soothe the stomach
a dash of water with lime

Directions:

Whip everything up in your blender or magic bullet, and voila!

According to the nutrition info, there should be exactly 20 grams of fat in this, and I can assure you that it does not seem fatty when it's going down. Yay for almond meal!

I have to stay on a fairly low carb diet now (just found out that I'm pre-diabetic, oh joy!). The nice thing about this smoothie is that the carb content is not bad (< 10 grams?) and if it needs to be sweeter I can add a trace of stevia without adding to the carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment